UN Programme of Action on small arms and light weapons
The UN Programme of Action provides the framework for activities to counter the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons. It was adopted by all UN member states in 2001. Since that time the UN has worked to support the implementation of the UNPoA at national, regional, and international levels. It has hosted two Review Conferences in 2006 and 2012, four biennial meetings of states, and one meeting of government experts in 2011. Its most recent Review Conference was held in June 2018, with a preparatory committee in March 2018. By-products of the UNPoA include the International Tracing Instrument and the recommendations of a Group of Governmental Experts on arms brokering.
Subscribe to receive Reaching Critical Will's Small Arms Monitor during meetings of the UNPoA.
- First Review Conference, 26 June-7 July 2006
- Biennial Meeting of States, 14-18 July 2008
- Biennial Meeting of States, 14-18 June 2010
- Meeting of Government Experts, 9-13 May 2011
- Preparatory Committee for the Second Review Conference, 19-23 March 2012
- Second Review Conference, 27 August-14 September 2012
- Biennial Meeting of States, 16-20 June 2014
- Meeting of Government Experts, 1-5 June 2015
- Biennial Meeting of States, 6-10 June 2016
- Preparatory Committee Meeting for the Third Review Conference, 19-23 March 2018
- Third Review Conference, 18-29 June 2018